How does a marketing company reach out to this lucrative demographic segment?
Understanding the NRI
The first step for any company interested in marketing to these customers must take steps to understand their customer i.e demographics, lifestyle, age groups, median income etc. Most of these immigrants of the last decade ( Ages 25-40) are savvy internet users and will be found online.
JuxtConsult is a New Delhi based Research and Advisory consulting company that sells a comprehensive syndicated report called the NRI Online 2006.The snapshot of the report is sold for 2,247 INR / 60 USD. The full report is sold at a price of 168,540 INR / 4,500 USD.The report is made from a sample survey of 1000 NRI’s from different parts of the world. Their findings highlight their profiles as well as their preferred online and offline ways and means to stay connected with India. Click here to go to the Report Main Page.
The report would provide insight to
- Who are they (Location, Gender, Age, Occupation, etc.).
- Physical Connectivity with India (Frequency of travel to India, visit indiv idually or with family, reason for travel, etc.)
- Technological connectivity with India (Preferred medium for information and communication)Informational connectivity (Frequency of usage of communication channels,) .
- Financial/Economic Connectivity ( Assets ,investments and remittance aspects) Their Net Usage behavior, Website preferences and Media preferences in staying connected to India on a regular basis.
Purchasing the Contact Information
Depending on the nature of the business, one may need to do email marketing, postal marketing or telemarketing. EbusinessIndya is a Hyderabad firm from India that sells databases of consumers, companies from all over the world. I observed that they had databases varying from African Businesses to databases in European Metallurgy Industries.
The complete list of its databases can be found after clicking the link Complete List of Databases .
The company claims that their data is current and the database contains 170,000 Non Resident Indians contact information. This database has been prepared from NRIs living in 35 different countries. The database is cheap and can be purchased for a price of a $100 or 4499 rupees. All data has the name, address, email ids , foreign addresses and Telephone numbers
As mentioned earlier in the article most of these Indianscan be found on the Internet. A number of websites that are frequently visited by NRIs list the demographic profiles of their customers, media kit information on their websites. I have provided some details and links below.
The Sify portal claims that they get 1.5 million unique users broadly spread across the United States, South East Asia, Europe and the Middle East.Its networks include NRI Channels ,Samachar,Return2India and Bawarchi.
has emerged as one of the most successful online advertising media to reach Asian Indians, particularly those living in US. This website is frequently visited by Indians to post and view classified information , get news updates and are now even blogging.
4) TimesofIndia is India's largest news paper with a big online presence. They offer an epaper that is a scanned copy of the daily newspaper that is distributed in Indian metros like Delhi, Mumbai etc. They also circulate the Economic Times for business news and the stock market. The online sites are comprehensive and largely cater to the NRI customers around the world.
Times of India Links
5) CricInfo.com Cricket is the favourite sport among Indians and Cricinfo is the gateway to cricket news from around the world. In my opinion this is a great site to reach out to all types of NRI Men as cricket is largely followed by men.I did not find an official advertise page with them but you can click here and fill the form after choosing the "Advertise" option from the drop down.
There are a large number of websites that Indians frequently visit all of which cannot be possibly listed. I have attempted to list the most common websites that are visited by Indians for cricket, news and classifieds.
Print Media Advertising
A number of Indians emigrated before the dot com era of the 1990s. If your business model requires you to reach out to this sub segment then you must consider the following print media options
1) Indian Express is one of the largest Indian Newspapers in
Indian Express Links
- Readers Survey
- Circulation details
- Rate card
A number of other magazines like India Today, Business Week can also be used for advertising means to reach the Non Resident Indian.